Conde Nast SVP Lisa Valentino Shares the Company’s Video Playbook [SHIFT VIDEO]Thursday, December 22, 2016, 12:44 PM ET|Posted by Will Richmond
Conde Nast is in the middle of executing a massive transformation of its business from being a traditional print publisher to becoming a multi-platform storyteller with video having a central role. At our recent SHIFT // Programmatic Video & TV Ad Summit, we were privileged to hear fantastic insights about the company’s video playbook in a 30-minute interview Lisa Valentino, SVP, Network Sales and Partnership of Conde Nast and Chief Revenue Officer of Conde Nast Entertainment did with Matt Gillis, SVP, Publisher Platforms at AOL.
The interview covered an array of topics, with Lisa zeroing in on how Conde has built up its video business by embracing an open distribution model that has been so successful that social is now the primary way that audiences engage with Conde’s brands.
The company has mined its archive of 90K articles for ideas and content that contribute to over 5K videos now being custom created annually for various social and distribution platforms. Lisa shares one great example of an Emma Stone interview video that got 2 million views on Facebook which was then edited and posted elsewhere the next day and got 8 million views.
Lisa talks in highly specific detail about the enormous complexity behind all of this plus the cultural changes that are resulting from new talent the company has attracted. Importantly, she also provides great insights about how the company is monetizing its content, the critical role of programmatic and how it is staffed, plus the challenges of today’s measurement models, among other topics.
Overall it is a fascinating glimpse into how Conde Nast is leveraging video to completely change its business model. Lisa expertly conveys how much of this is ongoing experimentation, with success equally due to innovative strategies and relentless execution.
Categories: Advertising, Magazines, Programmatic
Topics: Conde Nast, SHIFT // 2016 Programmatic Video & TV Advertising Summit
- Understanding the Rise of Programmatic Video & TV [SHIFT VIDEO]
- Why Premium Video Providers are Navigating Carefully Into Programmatic [SHIFT VIDEO]
- The Role of Mobile and Connected TV Devices in Programmatic [SHIFT VIDEO]
- Digging Into Programmatic Video and TV Transactions [SHIFT VIDEO]
- 5 Video Ad Market Predictions for 2017
- NBCU EVP Dan Lovinger On How to Balance Audience-Targeted Ads With Traditional Context-Based Ads [SHIFT VIDEO]
- How Data is Fueling the Audience-Centric Video Ad Model [SHIFT VIDEO]
- Starcom USA’s Amanda Richman Explains 'Smarter Media Buying' [SHIFT VIDEO]
- Succeeding With Programmatic Multiscreen Video Campaigns [SHIFT VIDEO]