Monday, July 25, 2016, 10:52 AM ET|Posted by Will Richmond
Major platforms like YouTube, Facebook and Snapchat offer video content providers opportunities to reach big audiences, but they also create a variety of new risks around loss of business control and monetization. At last month’s Video Ad Summit, Mike Shields from the WSJ moderated a session “Achieving Video Success in the Platform Economy,” which addressed this central tension.
The panel included Stacy Fuller (Head of Content, North America, Havas Media), Paul Kelly (Chief Partnerships Officer, AwesomenessTV), Michael Kuntz (SVP, Digital Revenue, USA TODAY Network) and Jeff Urban (President and Co-founder, Whistle Sports).
Digging into the topic, the group discussed the range of approaches YouTube, Facebook and Snapchat are using with partners and how content providers determine where to allocate their finite resources. One big discussion point was that Facebook does not accept pre-roll ads, so the challenge of making money with Facebook is even steeper. That led to another key topic of what role branded content should play when distributing on the platforms.
With platforms constantly changing their approaches, learning how to work with them is incredibly confusing for video content providers. The session gives a lot of insights into how providers and agencies are navigating this new terrain.
Watch the video now (33 minutes, 3 seconds).
- Hershey’s Head of Global Media Discusses How to Achieve Reach in the Digital Age [AD SUMMIT VIDEO]
- Convergence Realized: Why TV and Video Are Now Inseparable [AD SUMMIT VIDEO]
- How to Move Ads at the Speed of Today [AD SUMMIT VIDEO]
- Optimizing Video Ad Targeting Through Data and Insights [AD SUMMIT VIDEO]
- Debriefing the NewFronts and Upfronts: What’s Ahead in 2016? [AD SUMMIT VIDEO]
- Reaching Audiences at Scale: Will TV Succeed in the Digital Age? [AD SUMMIT VIDEO]
- CBS Interactive President and COO Marc Debevoise Discusses Successful Video Strategies [AD SUMMIT VIDEO]
- Capitalizing on Mobile as the First Screen [AD SUMMIT VIDEO]
- Unlocking Video’s Value in the OTT Era [AD SUMMIT VIDEO]