CBS Interactive President and COO Marc Debevoise Discusses Successful Video Strategies [AD SUMMIT VIDEO]Thursday, July 14, 2016, 11:24 AM ET|Posted by Will Richmond
One of the highlights of the recent Video Ad Summit was the keynote interview I did with Marc Debevoise, who was just promoted to be President and COO of CBS Interactive. Marc oversees strategy and operations for all of the CBSi’s 25+ entertainment, sports, news, technology, gaming and media brands. Marc has also led the development of the CBS All Access SVOD service and CBSN 24/7 digital news service.
In the interview Marc shares the 3 biggest market trends that are guiding CBSi’s strategy and what’s ahead. We discuss in detail the strategic drivers behind the launch of CBS All Access and CBSN, including advertising strategies for both and how well they’ve been accepted by viewers. Marc shares lots of details about viewers’ profiles, how they engage with the two services, the devices that are most successful and how CBS is using them to broaden its appeal to younger viewers. Marc also explains how original programs (e.g. “Star Trek” and “The Good Wife” spinoff) are playing a big role in CBS All Access game plan.
We also talk about how CBS has become a leader in online sports, trailing only ESPN overall in the first part of 2016. Streaming the Super Bowl to connected TVs was a big milestone earlier this year and Marc discusses why CBS decided to do this and what impact it will have on streaming other sports. We wrap up by looking ahead to big challenges that CBSi is addressing.
There is a lot of skepticism floating around about the role of broadcast TV in the fast-evolving online video landscape, but Marc does a great job of explaining all the moves CBS is making to remain a leader.
Watch the keynote interview (35 minutes, 30 seconds)
- Hershey’s Head of Global Media Discusses How to Achieve Reach in the Digital Age [AD SUMMIT VIDEO]
- Convergence Realized: Why TV and Video Are Now Inseparable [AD SUMMIT VIDEO]
- How to Move Ads at the Speed of Today [AD SUMMIT VIDEO]
- Optimizing Video Ad Targeting Through Data and Insights [AD SUMMIT VIDEO]
- Debriefing the NewFronts and Upfronts: What’s Ahead in 2016? [AD SUMMIT VIDEO]
- Reaching Audiences at Scale: Will TV Succeed in the Digital Age? [AD SUMMIT VIDEO]